Meet Our Team
Tel: +44 (0) 207 375 1393
Mark Needham is a specialist superyacht lawyer with significant experience acting for the owners, family offices, owner’s representatives, trustees and fiduciaries of some of the most significant superyachts in the world as well as superyacht related businesses. Mark’s superyacht practice is comprehensive and he offers clients a complete service.
Clients and contacts describe Mark as a “great marine lawyer”, “diligent, professional”, as someone who can “take charge of a transaction” and who “above all gets the job done in a no nonsense manner”.
To complement his superyacht practice, Mark also assists clients with the sale, purchase and ownership of luxury assets including private jets, helicopters and aviation engines. As well as having a strong transactional/advisory practice, Mark also holds Higher Rights of Audience before the senior civil courts of England and Wales (rights which are held by less than 5% of all English solicitors) and acts for clients in both litigation and arbitration.
Mark grew up in the Cayman Islands and as such has friends and business contacts in a number of international jurisdictions including the Caribbean, Canada and the USA. Mark is a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club.
Examples of Mark’s work include:
Superyachts and Luxury Assets
- Advising on sale and purchase transactions
- Yacht construction, refit, conversion and paint projects
- VAT/tax (and the associated structuring)
- Yacht finance/re-finance
- Flagging, crew employment, berth sale and purchase
- Regulatory compliance (including MLC 2006)
- Tender and support ship sale and purchase
- Security arrangements
- Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of superyacht related agreements such as yacht management, technical management, project management, yacht design, furniture supply, charter, sales and central agency agreements
- The sale, purchase and ownership of luxury assets including private jets, helicopters, aviation engines, and other luxury assets including classic cars.
- Mark has also advised on the short-term lease of luxury private islands
Reported cases that Mark has acted on include:
- Street v Larkins EWHC 1408 (Ch)
- Madoff Securities v Stephen Raven & Ors EWHC 3102 (Comm)
For more information, or to get in touch with Mark, please email firstname.lastname@example.org