Meet Our Team
Quentin Bargate qualified as a solicitor in 1981 and has since spent his entire career in top City of London law firms. He is head of the firm’s Superyachts group and is an expert in yacht contracts and other commercial contract work. Quentin also leads the firm’s Dispute Resolution practice.
Quentin was a partner for over 14 years in Simmons & Simmons, one of London’s premier law firms. He was head of the firm’s International Trade and Shipping Group and a member of the Litigation Department and Arbitration Groups. At Simmons & Simmons, Quentin developed his specialised skills in superyacht/megayacht contracts and disputes as well as commercial shipping and trade.
In 2004, Quentin fulfilled a lifetime ambition when he set up his own law firm, Quentin Bargate & Co. (renamed Bargate Murray in 2006).
In Chambers and Partners High Net Worth guide 2016, Quentin is praised as someone who “always provides excellent advice, and is also very commercially oriented” as well as being “a pleasure to work with”. Chambers recognises that “Quentin is known for acting for some very prominent UHNW yacht owners” adding that “certain HNW clients want to use him exclusively”.
Quentin is an advocate for alternative dispute resolution (ADR), but he also deals with cases in court when required. He occasionally sits as an arbitrator.
Quentin is a member of the Maritime Authority of the Cayman Islands yacht committee. He holds a Master’s degree in Marine law, is a member of the LMAA, a Member of the Nautical Institute, a member of the IOD, a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club, and a Freeman of the City of London.
His other interests include photography (Elsevier has published a technical book on stock photography “Microstock Photography” written by Quentin under his pen name Douglas Freer), music and his family.
Some recent cases managed by Quentin include:
- Consolidated Contractors (Oil and Gas) Company SAL (acting by Mr. Lee Manning as receiver) v Canadian Nexen Petroleum Yemen & Others  EWHC 837 (QB).Cross border receivership litigation involving Yemeni, Lebanese and English law (amongst others), concerning the unprecedented attempt by an English court-appointed receiver to gain control of foreign assets located in the Middle East. The case eventually settled
- Gamit Ltd v Saudi Arabian Airlines Corp & Anor  EWHC 989. Successfully defending the maintenance division of a jet engine manufacturer in a dispute over title to replacement jet engine parts
- Madoff Securities International Ltd (In liquidation) v Raven & Ors  EWHC 3147. Defending a director allegedly involved in a global Ponzi scheme in litigation brought by the liquidator of an English Company
- Street v Larkins  EWHC 1408 (Ch). Representing the Defendants in their successful defence of an interim application for a freezing injunction and the Defendants successful application for wasted costs. The Defendants were awarded their wasted costs on the basis of the Claimants’ unreasonable refusal to consent to an adjournment of the trial date. Claimants’ application for freezing injunction was dismissed on the grounds of failing to establish a “good arguable” case during the trial window
- Charterparty dispute advice
- Successfully litigating and eventually settling on favourable terms a highly complex and fractious corporate dispute between shareholders, where the majority shareholders sought to exclude our clients from their share of the profits in a real estate investment vehicle by devising elaborate commercial structures across a number of European jurisdictions. The settlement included payment to our clients of a substantial cash payment and the agreement on the part of the Defendants to pay our client’s costs on an indemnity basis
- Successfully settling a professional negligence action brought by a high net worth individual with considerable real estate investments which were exposed by the repeated failures of a renowned top 20 law firm
Some of Quentin’s recent transactions include:
- $200m new build contract advice for an award-winning superyacht
- Advice on Seafarer Employment Agreements, including in regard to the first yacht successfully to pass an MLC audit for the Cayman flag.
- Advice in importation of several yachts in to the European Union for VAT purposes, and on Temporary Admission matters.
- Sale of a 61m superyacht to a Russian buyer
- Purchase of a 48m Superyacht and its commercial registration and use
- Yacht management agreements for leading yacht managers
- Aviation and maritime advice in regard to a UHNW individual
- Acting for a yacht builder in regard to construction agreements
For more information, or to get in touch with Quentin, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Adam Ramlugon is the firm’s Managing Partner and has extensive experience in superyacht and a wide range of other commercial matters. His client base includes UHNW individuals, family offices, private banks, yacht managers and other law firms that require English legal advice in connection with superyachts or other luxury assets.
His practice covers both transactional and contentious work. This means he is able to advise his clients on every aspect of the ownership, use and enjoyment of their luxury assets, be they superyachts, private jets, classic cars or fine art.
Clients praise Adam’s attention to detail, and his ability to advise on a wide array of legal issues in a clear and approachable way. Here are some of the things Adam’s clients and contacts say about him:
“Top superyacht lawyer”
“I cannot recommend him enough”
“[in relation to a superyacht project] we couldn’t do this without you!”
Adam is a member of the Royal Thames Yacht Club and a regular contributor to Yacht Investor magazine, where he helps keep the industry up to date with the latest relevant legal developments.
Examples of Adam’s work include:
Superyachts and Luxury Assets
- Superyacht construction, sale and purchase, tax and regulatory advice
- Jet and superyacht finance
- VAT advice as it pertains to superyachts and other luxury assets
- Advising on the applicability of the EU Temporary Admission regime (among other forms of tax/customs duty) relief as they apply to both yachts and aircraft
- Advising on the security measures to be implemented on a €200m superyacht
- Yacht registration and ownership matters
- Company re-domiciliation
- Advising on the effects of the Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (MLC). Adam and the team enjoyed the privilege of working with the first Cayman flagged yacht to be awarded its MLC certificate of compliance.
- Preparing MLC-compliant Seafarer Employment Agreements.
Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Large commercial arbitration work, pursuant to LMAA rules (among others)
- Resolving disputes pursuant to expert determination procedures
- Warranty claims under construction contracts
- Insurance based litigation
- Dispute resolution including arbitration work under LMAA Rules and ad hoc references
Reported cases with which Adam has been involved include:
- Consolidated Contractors (Oil and Gas) Company SAL (acting by Mr. Lee Manning as receiver) v Canadian Nexen Petroleum Yemen & Others
- Acting for a court-appointed receiver of a judgment debtor company. The international arbitration was expedited and heard over a two day hearing in Geneva, and involved complex multiple systems of law including Yemeni, Lebanese, and English law in what was a ground-breaking attempt by an English court-appointed receiver to gain control of foreign assets (in this case oil situate in Yemen).
- Gamit Ltd v Saudi Arabian Airlines Corp & Anor  EWHC 989
- Defending the maintenance division of German jet engine manufacturer MTU in a dispute over title to replacement jet engine parts of some $20m
For more information, or to get in touch with Adam, please email email@example.com
Partner - Head of Property
Tel: +44 (0) 2073751393
Nicholas is a highly regarded residential property lawyer, specialising in Ultra High Net Worth and High Net Worth client portfolios within the London Property Market. He has held partner positions for the majority of the last eighteen years. After studying in London, he joined a Regional Essex Law firm where he subsequently became an Equity Partner and Head of Residential Property. He joined a top 100 Law firm with over 25 offices in 2013, and was responsible for setting up two new Central London Flagship offices in London Bridge and Westminster – acting as Head of Residential Property for both offices.
He is a highly proficient business developer, with considerable expertise in the Prime Central LondonProperty Market acting for both domestic and international clients.
In his most recent role, Nicholas was partner in a London HNW Law firm, specialising in HNW International clients and purchases in Central London, often off plan. Nicholas has a strong track record in successfully maintaining high levels of service, and prides himself in providing a bespoke, tailored approach to achieve client’s demands.
Over the period of the last 20 years, Nicholas has brokered and maintained long standing relationships with numerous Estate Agents, Brokers and Banking Institutions operating in this sector. Although he specialises in UHNW and HNW property he deals with all types of Residential Property.
Examples of Nicholas’ high end residential transactions include:
- A £11.5 million purchase in Kensington
- Sale of the individual flats in a New Build Development worth over £25 million in North London
- A number of prime new build developments in Central London including Chiltern Place, Prince of Wales Drive, The Vista and West Gate House.
- Sale of a £8 million + Country Estate in Surrey
- Outside of London he acted for a property investor who purchased a several block of flats in Southampton.
- Outside of work he enjoys keeping fit, cooking, reading and travelling.
Ilona Avramenko joined Bargate Murray as a Superyacht and Aviation Associate in October 2016. She focuses on advising UHNW individuals, companies, family offices and banks on various yachting and aviation matters, particularly within the executive jet sector.
Ilona has over ten years experience in the maritime industry having both worked in a shipping company and a private equity fund.
She grew up in both Canada and Ukraine and maintains strong ties to the Black Sea region.
Examples of Ilona’s work include:
- Sale and purchase, construction, registration and VAT/importation of yachts
- Sale and purchase of corporate aircraft including financing, registration and VAT/importation
- Construction of new aircraft
- More generally, advising clients on a wide range of commercial documents including share acquisition agreements, business and asset sale and purchase agreements, share transfer agreements, guarantees and security agreements
- Advising companies and banks on the sale and purchase, mortgage registration and enforcement of security documents
- Advising on various contractual matters both contentious and non-contentious including aircraft repossession
Ilona assisted in the founding of Black Sea Shipowners’ Club which is a non-profit organisation established by the major ship owners in Russia, Ukraine and Turkey with the aim of protecting and promoting ship owners’ interests.
Tel: +44 (0) 207 375 1393
Mario Christodoulou joined Bargate Murray as a Trainee Solicitor in February 2017 and works closely with the Partners and Associates to support the delivery of legal advice to the firm’s UHNW clients. Mario qualified as a Solicitor in August 2018.
Mario graduated from the University of Bristol (LLB) and studied the Legal Practice Course at BPP in London. Prior to joining Bargate Murray, Mario has worked as a Paralegal and an Aviation Contracts Technician at a global advisory, broking and solutions company and as a Paralegal at a multinational telecommunications service provider.
Tel: +44 (0) 207 375 1393
James Neocleous joined Bargate Murray as a Paralegal in March 2017 and has experience working in top international city law firms. James is a graduate of the University of Kent, at Canterbury (LLB) and Kaplan Law School (LPC).
Outside of work James enjoys playing golf, hiking and rock climbing.
Lauren Stephens is Head of Administration enjoys a high profile role as one of the firm’s compliance officers and manages the firm’s finances. Additionally, Lauren is ILex trained. She assists the partners in the management of the Firm.
Lauren, who joined Bargate Murray in 2009, is in charge of the smooth day to day operation of the firm and works alongside the Partners to ensure that each client receives the high level of client care that epitomises Bargate Murray.
Lauren also assists with the organisation and preparation of a number of key events, a number of which have been held over consecutive years at the prestigious Monaco Yacht Show.
For more information, or to get in touch with Lauren, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Edd Bargate joined Bargate Murray in May 2013 as a part-time office assistant after studying for his business diploma. He assists with the everyday running of the firm by fulfilling clerical and administrative duties such as filing, copying and managing supply levels and equipment maintenance procedures.
Edd has also been involved with a number of promotional projects such as our own annual networking event in Monaco as well as partnerships with other events.
Outside of work, Edd is a keen car enthusiast and DJ.
For more information, or to get in touch with Edd, please email email@example.com
Alex Bargate joined the firm in September 2013 after completing his undergraduate degree in Biology at the University of Warwick. His mission is to raise the online profile of Bargate Murray through a diverse range of marketing tactics.
In his spare time, Alex is a keen classical and fingerstyle acoustic guitarist, as well as a budding entrepreneur in the tech start-up world, to which his web development skills make him ideally suited.
For more information, or to get in touch with Alex, please email firstname.lastname@example.org